Friday, January 16, 2009

A Little Bit of At Home Training


One thing Oak has learnt is to wait for his food. He loves eating, so can be very eager to munch down. To slow him down a bit, I have taught him to wait before he can eat. Since he is fed raw chicken, he eats outside, so I take him outside, tell him to sit and wait, then I set his dish down. He'll sit in front of his dish, then he'll look at his dish, look at me, look at his dish, look at me etc. back and forth until I give him his release word and tell him it is "Alright" to start eating. He always has such a hopeful look in his eyes when he looks at me. I always make sure to tell him he is a fabulous boy. Praise is very important when training a puppy. That and repetition! We are starting to do this with his treats too, because he can get grabby, especially when the other dogs are around.

No comments: